1. The original meaning of the word Lent is ______________________.
2, Lent begins on ________________.
A. Ash Wednesday
B. Good Friday
C. Maundy Thursday
3. The purpose of lent is ________________________________________.
A. to increase in God's favor
B. to examine oneself and grow in holiness
C. to seek the approval of others
4. Lent lasts for _________ days.
5. Lent helps us to remember _________________________.
A. the end of John the Baptist's ministry
B. the period that Jesus spent fasting in the wilderness.
C. the transfiguration of Jesus.
6. The reason people give up something during lent is ___________________.
A. to show off for their friends
B. to deny self
C. to lose weight
7. On Palm Sunday, Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a _______________.
A. white horse
Well, now you may check the answers at the bottom of this blog. How did you do? I hope that, if you did well, your heart doesn't swell with pride. If it does, you have missed the true meaning of Lent. Lent is not a season where we earn God's approval by our good works and personal sacrifice. In fact, it is the opposite. It is a time when we strive to grow in a deeper knowledge of God's love and prepare our hearts for a deeper understanding of the miracle of his grace poured out on Easter.
Answers: 1. C 2. A 3. B 4. C 5. B 6. B 7. C